Thursday, March 17, 2011

Now Jennifer Anniston Really Has a Haircut to Hate

Some artistes are highly regarded for their impressive acting ability like Dame Judy Dench, Helen Mirren or Colin Firth (sorry all British) and others are known as great action heroes like Bruce Lee or Jason Statham.  Some may even make it big as comedians ala Sandra Bullock, Steve Carrel and Tina Fey (although “Date Night” wasn’t one of my faves), so it must be mighty hard waking up every morning and realizing that the only thing you may be remembered for in years to come is your haircut?  Poor Jennifer Aniston.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not a hater and I only dream of being remembered for anything (even my haircut) but c’mon to be thankless and unappreciative about the very thing that made you famous just doesn’t seem very fair to me.  In a recent article with Allure magazine, the “Rom-com” actress once termed “America’s Sweetheart” stated that she hated the “Rachel” cut calling it the "The ugliest haircut I've ever seen".   For those of you oblivious to what the “Rachel” was, the description is as follows: a bouncy, square-layered hairstyle introduced by Jennifer Aniston (created by famed hairstylist Chris MacMillan) in season one of the hit American sitcom “Friends” and named after her character, Rachel Green.
"Have there been disasters?”  Jennifer told the magazine “I think that's a very relative term with hair. Let's say there have been moments I'd rather not relive, like that whole Rachel thing. I love Chris [McMillan, her hairstylist], and he's the bane of my existence at the same time because he started that damn Rachel, which was not my best look. How do I say this? I think it was the ugliest haircut I've ever seen. What I really want to know is, how did that thing have legs? Let's just say I'm not a fan of short, layered cuts on me personally, so I don't love revisiting that particular era."
The cut was widely imitated and is still popular over 10 years later.  In fact, in 2010, six years after the show ended, a survey found the cut as the most popular among British women. 
Dull, lifeless, dry, listless; definitely not the words I would use to describe Jennifer Aniston’s hair but maybe her film career following the end of Friends – perhaps this is what Ms. Aniston would rather be remembered for? Films like “Rumor has it”, “Love happens” (I couldn’t even sit through the whole thing and I love Aaron Eckhart) or even “Rock Star”?
Anyways, I don’t think it matters because like others before her who were lucky enough to experience incredible fame as a result of an extremely popular TV series, eventually like her costars, Jennifer Aniston is not so far away herself from vanishing into obscurity fighting to stay relevant unless she can really pull one out. 
Given her film career doesn’t seem to be blossoming with her last few box office openings being luke warm at best “The Switch” and “The Bounty Hunter” for example, maybe she thought, we would care about her new haircut.  And care we did, Jennifer Aniston debuted a brand new, news worthy hair cut while in Spain promoting her new film “Just Go With It”. (BTW also tepid).  The inspiration to do the simple bob?   Her hairdresser Chris McMillan told Allure magazine: ‘There are so many long, layered hairstyles and—don’t get me wrong, I love that. But “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” all have that. You know what I mean? And what’s the opposite direction you can go in.” Apparently it’s a stylized bob.  ‘It was just time for a change,’ McMillan said. ‘We had a blast doing it.  I’m sure he did and perhaps he was offended by Aniston’s words about the Rachel and decided to get his own back giving her a “reverse mullet” instead?

Oh well, unless Maestro MacMillan can keep coming up with new hairstyles for our beloved Jen to keep her in the news, we may just end up seeing her on “Dancing with the stars” or “Celebrity Apprentice” in years to come after all.  At least we know she knows about the housewives

No comments:

Post a Comment